First redraw - 1

 

There it comes the first redraw. First, let me show you the sketch.




That’s literally just bunch of umbrella hairs and a sad face. I didn’t even bother to draw the arms. The rest of my sketches are made with simple graphite pencils, but this one is not. The pinks you see is chalk. The black is supposedly dry pastel. I used to buy art supplies that I use two or three times (I still do it sometimes.). This is a very unimportant sketch. My skills were low but still some of my old stuff has some appeal. I don’t exactly remember why I included this one to be redrawn, yet I am glad I did, because it turned out nice.

My initial mission for this piece was to keep the saddened face and the hairs (for that it is only made up of these). So, I made small sketch to just to begin and the rest just came naturally. I made a second small sketch for reference. In the second one, the hair is made of these long ribbons. Some of them are in spiral form and some of them are broken but most of them are just flowing straight. It looked very satisfying in both sketch and actual drawing. It has been half a year since a sketch made me happy (satisfied face). There is no change in the face, it does its job to give a calm gloomy aura.

I don’t exactly know If it was the pink chalk strokes from the original sketch or the expression, that made me decide to colour the painting in pink. Pink and grey, ultimately (I definitely overuse grey). The combination of both colours fitted the expression very well. Here and there blues and yellows and these are probably there because somehow these ribbonish hairs reminded me of Lego bricks. And you know, child stuff, is mostly very colourful. And they really broke the monotony of the grey and pink.

Since my sketch was done properly, the colouring process was very organised. First, I had to place yellow and blue because they have to be distributed evenly. From then, I just have to work with grey and pink. I added some dark tones of these colours to guide me. Then it was usually carefully selecting which pieces of hair should be darker or lighter and which ones should have ombre effect. My initial aim was to make all of them stand out on their own. Well, I was calm and happy how this painting is turning out, thus the process worked smooth. After finishing the hair, I did the clothes. Well, I used my little knowledge on how to draw and paint cloth. I have been learning more about this but there is still long way to go. And there comes the face which I was kind of hesitant to colour. It’s a simple face but I know if I perform bad, it will look bad no matter what. I don’t think I coloured the face as good as the hair but there wasn’t a big problem either.

And this is the result.

This was the FIRST of the redraws. I have been waiting to start this project for the longest time. I am happy I finally to begin this long but fun road. I would like to say more aspects of this project in the coming entries but now the most important thing is that I started, officially. As a retiring perfectionist, I spend so much time just thinking and doubting. I knew I must put something in this world, but I couldn’t. Most of the time people just say you to start no matter what. And I saw, read and heard this so many times (Eventually almost all the Youtube self-development videos say this, repeatedly. So don’t be fooled by fancy thumbnails.). Somehow knowing the right way or the truth doesn’t necessarily make you do the right things. We are all a bit stupid, but I am definitely more stupid. For now, I am trying right to be satisfied without achieving all the criteria in my head (Trying my best to not to punish myself for making piece that is easy to draw.) Its feels good to finish a drawing. I loved making this artwork, I loved writing this blog. Dear my brain, please let me enjoy this simple human experience.

Well, this is the end of this entry. See you on the next one.

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brand new art blog - 0

Girl with yellow clothes - 2